Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Qidi Print slicer

chipdoring
(@chipdoring)

I've recently been using my new Qidi Max printer, which I love so far, and the Slicer software looks a lot like the Cura slicer. I now also have the Cura slicer. No one ever talks about the Qidi max, and there is no profile for it in the Cura drop down.

Would it makes sense to keep using the Qidi print slicer (which seems to work fine) or should I start using the Cura slicer and rework all the settings? I don't want to get to a place where I can't get to the next level with the Qidi print software and have to start from the beginning with the Cura slicer.

Topic starter Posted : 18/09/2020 10:51 pm
Luke
 Luke
(@lmf5000)
Expert Moderator

Hi Chip,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

When you buy a proprietary printer with a proprietary slicer that has a smaller user base, you'll run into some disadvantages like being stuck to the features they put into the slicer (and be at their mercy if they stop updating it), and help will be harder to find due to the limited numbers of users. The advantage of course is that the profiles have already been tuned for you and it's relatively straightforward to get good prints out of the box. Nevertheless, you're on the right path looking to learn a more mainstream slicer. 

I would recommend learning PrusaSlicer rather than Cura. The reasons are as follows:

• There are significantly less settings to master, so the learning curve is quicker and there are less ways to ruin your print
  • The software runs much faster - both in terms of UI and in terms of the actual slicing. This for me is the single biggest reason to prefer PS over cura.
  • Powerful features like adaptive layer heights, overriding settings in particular parts of the print (by means of modifier meshes), and blocking or enforcing supports are somewhat easier to do in PS than in Cura (less clicks, and it's more obvious on the screen what is happening)
  • Prusa has a dedicated team of developers working full-time just on PrusaSlicer, so you can expect rapid development and a lot of innovation over time
  • PrusaSlicer is based on the open source Slic3r software (which is not as highly-developed as PS at this point), but by learning PS you're indirectly learning two slicers in one go
  • Anecdotally, a few members who've taken our advice and switched from cura to PrusaSlicer have reported improved print quality

Whichever slicer you choose, you can learn the ropes using the guides in the Io3DP pages, then you can come to the community for more help if needed :).

For starters, I suggest setting up a printer profile with the basics like bed and printer dimensions, nozzle and filament diameter and so on. Then you can either try a print with the PS defaults, or manually copy over the settings from Qidi Slicer into PrusaSlicer to make a sort of copycat profile. For your first tests, I'd suggest something quick and simple like a 20mm calibration cube to see how it goes. Then based on the print you can fine-tune settings from there.

Let me know how it goes! 🙂

Regards,
Luke

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2020 6:03 pm
Share:

About us

We’re a bunch of 3D printing and design nuts. We just want to make great 3D design available to everyone. 

Our mission

Good design takes time, great design takes a process. You can learn this with us, to build your skill set in this rapidly expanding market. 

Learn with us:

© Copyright: 2019 io3dp.com
Close Menu