Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Raise3d

Bob
 Bob
(@admin)
Member Admin

I have a Raise3d N2plus with dual nozzles. I have changed my .4mm nozzle to a .8mm. I would like suggestions on what to set setting to in Ideamaker, Cura or Simplify for the larger nozzle.

Topic starter Posted : 08/08/2020 7:46 pm
Luke
 Luke
(@lmf5000)
Expert Moderator

Hi Brian, welcome to the community!

When changing the nozzle size, the first thing to change is the nozzle size value (in Simplify3D it's under Extruder -> Overview -> Nozzle Diameter; in Cura it's under Printer Settings -> Nozzle diameter.

After that you'll have to check your extrusion width. As a rule of thumb, suitable extrusion width values are between 100% and 120% of nozzle diameter, so for a 0.8mm nozzle that's 0.8 to 0.96mm. Depending on your slicer settings, the extrusion width might have already been automatically updated for you in response to the change of nozzle diameter. For example in Simplify3D if you have the "Extrusion Width" set to "Auto", it will set it to 120% of nozzle diameter. In cura it tends to set all the wall line widths to be equal to nozzle diameter on its own.

In case you have manual overrides in place and the extrusion width/line width doesn't update, just manually set the desired value. Use 0.8mm if you want maximum detail and minimum material usage. Use 0.96 mm if you want maximum wall strength and maximum printing speed for top/bottom layers. Use something in between for a compromise.

---

Once you've set the extrusion width, you have the opportunity to set a higher layer height to take advantage of the capabilities afforded by a larger nozzle. The rule of thumb for layer height is up to 50-75% of nozzle diameter. So with your 0.4mm nozzle you were limited to a maximum layer height of 0.2-0.3mm. With your 0.8mm nozzle your layer height limit is now 0.4-0.6mm. So if you want to print significantly faster, you could raise that too. The minimum layer height depends for the most part on your printer's Z-axis resolution, your extruder's accuracy, and how long you're willing to wait for the print to finish 😆 . Most printers are capable of down to 0.1mm, some will even go down to 0.08mm or lower. This doesn't change significantly with a larger nozzle - you can still print very fine layers if you want that sort of accuracy/smoothness. So for example a 0.8mm nozzle, 0.8-0.96mm extrusion width, and 0.2mm layer height is still a valid combination.

Alternatively you can opt to go for larger layer heights, which will give you more strength and much more speed. Keep in mind that you may hit the flowrate limit of your hotend if you have a large nozzle, large layer height and large printer speed. If that happens the extruder will start to skip as the nozzle can't melt filament fast enough to keep up. In that case lower your printing speed until the skipping stops.

Anecdotally, with my Creality CR-10 machines, I've found the limit of layer height x extrusion width x print speed on the stock extruder is 10-15mm3/sec. Taking all settings to the max: 0.6mm layer height x 0.96mm extrusion width x 60mm/s speed = 34.56mm3/sec - so from experience I know my extruder won't manage that. I'd have to lower print speed to 30mm/s to lower flowrate to around 15mm3/sec. Your printer has a significantly more powerful hotend so it might be capable of much greater speed - just do some experimentation and see how far you can push it 🙂

Hope this helps! Let me know how it goes 🙂

Regards,
Luke

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/08/2020 9:14 pm
Share:

About us

We’re a bunch of 3D printing and design nuts. We just want to make great 3D design available to everyone. 

Our mission

Good design takes time, great design takes a process. You can learn this with us, to build your skill set in this rapidly expanding market. 

Learn with us:

© Copyright: 2019 io3dp.com
Close Menu