Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Com ports

Dutchy
(@dutchy)
Significant Member

I have a Geetech A10T and an HP Pavilion 15 AU183sa, my problem is that the computer doesn't show com ports in Device Manager and I can't update the printer or do anything else until it does.

Does anyone know how I can sort this out please?

Topic starter Posted : 23/09/2021 1:41 pm
Pablo
(@placherre)
Member Moderator

Hi Dutchy!

Welcome to the Community! 😀 

In order to be able to communicate between your computer and your printer you must install the proper driver of your printer. With this driver installed, your computer will be able to “see” your printer with a serial communication protocol. This driver will depend on the chipset installed on the mainboard for USB serial port communication. I have been doing some research about your printer and I found out that the necessary driver is the CH340. But first, would you confirm that your main board is the GT2560_V4.0? You will find the mainboard model code written on the PCB board. In order to verify this, you would have to remove the metal case located under the build plate, where the main board is. When doing this procedure, make sure you unplugged your printer from the power outlet, to prevent electrical hazards.

Also, would you confirm that the chipset for the USB connection is the CH340? This chip is located in the mainboard, close to the USB port. The following picture attached shows you where it is located. 

Geeetech A10T Mainboard

Furthermore, would you check if the driver is located in the SD card provided with the printer? Normally, these drivers are located under a folder called Software and Drive in the SD card. If not, I will send you the proper file. If the driver file is in the SD card, copy it and paste it in a folder of your computer's hard drive. This sort of files have an.INF and .SYS extension, in case you can’t find the proper folder. Remember where you placed this folder, in case a manual installation is needed. If you are able to relocate the driver file in the hard drive and after rebooting your computer, would you send me a screen capture of your device manager? So I can take a look if the driver was installed correctly.

In addition, what Operative System is installed in your computer? 

I am looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

Pablo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/09/2021 2:42 am
Dutchy
(@dutchy)
Significant Member

Hi Pablo,

Well, I was checking things as you said and for whatever reason, the Com Port showed CH340! I had already checked that the hidden Com Ports were shown before posting but for whatever reason, it just didn't want to show the printer port.

I've unplugged the printer several times since and reconnected it, just to be sure I wouldn't 'lose' it again but thankfully it has shown itself every time.

So thank you for responding to my question and giving such a detailed and simple to follow answer. I really appreciate it.

Dutchy.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/09/2021 10:12 pm
Pablo
(@placherre)
Member Moderator

Hi Dutchy!

Thank you for getting back!

I am glad you were able to sort out the communication issue. Once the driver is installed correctly (in your case, automatically), the computer will be able to “see” the printer every time you connect each other. 

May I ask what slicer you are using? Depending on the slicer, you will be able to follow the printing process with your computer. But, I do not recommend sending the printing gcode using the computer. There is a major drawback related to this: if your computer fails or the communication is interrupted, the printing will stop. Instead, you could use your computer for calibration of your printer by using a Printrun/Pronterface, for instance.

Let me know how it goes and if you have any further questions about computer/printer communication, please let us know.

Kind regards,

Pablo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/09/2021 5:40 pm
Dutchy
(@dutchy)
Significant Member

Hi Pablo,

I'll probably use Cura to start with and see how I go with it. Re the gcode, I've read that it's best to use the sd card in the printer, for the very reasons you've stated. I've not heard of Printrun/Pronterface, so I'll look that up and see what that's all about. I'm now in the process of leveling the bed, which is quite time consuming but I'm getting there step by step and hope to soon be able to start printing something simple to begin with. Time will tell how successful I am!

Many thanks for your help and advice Pablo.

Kind regards,

Dutchy.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/09/2021 10:17 am
Pablo
(@placherre)
Member Moderator

Hi Dutchy!

Posted by: @dutchy

I've read that it's best to use the sd card in the printer

That is correct! Always use the SD Card. Also, have one as spare, just in case the one you normally use fails (it happened before).

Sorry I didn't mention in depth what Printrun/Pronterface is about. It is a software that can be downloaded via this link: http://www.pronterface.com/ . With this program, you will be able to control your printer by sending gcode commands or using the specific control panel. The following picture is a screenshot of the main interface.

Pronterface Interface

On the left side you have the control keys for your printer: move in XYZ (also homing), temperature and cooling fan speed graphs. On the right hand side, the gcode command line and the communication status is shown. In addition, you can use Pronterface to follow your print process. But like we talked before, it is not recommended. Normally, this program is used for calibration. For instance, you can perform a PID autotuning by sending the proper gcode command. In a nutshell, the PID autotuning is the calibration made for the correct temperature control (you can see about this more in depth watching the following video from our course: https://io3dp.kartra.com/portal/9nHS2XYsRq9c/post/329 ). 

But, like you mentioned, go step by step. You will find a lot to learn along the way. 

I wish you a good printing! 

Kind regards,

Pablo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/09/2021 2:26 pm
Share:

About us

We’re a bunch of 3D printing and design nuts. We just want to make great 3D design available to everyone. 

Our mission

Good design takes time, great design takes a process. You can learn this with us, to build your skill set in this rapidly expanding market. 

Learn with us:

© Copyright: 2019 io3dp.com
Close Menu