Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Support generated by Prusa Slicer are difficult to remove

tankenland
(@tankenland)

I have been using Cura for a few years ... and never have problem on removing support from the model. Recently, I have change to Prusa Slicer and just try a few print with no support and the quality is fine. However, I am facing problem when printing part with support. The support stick directly with the part an dis almost impossible to remove it without breaking the part.

I have also check the slicer setting about the contact z distance. I see the default is 0.2 for break away support. Is that anyway to increase the distance. Or any other settings that I can change to make the support can be easily removed?

P.S. I am printing with Anet A8 (AM8 upgrade, E3D v6 hotend), Material is PLA, layer height 0.2mm.

Topic starter Posted : 18/05/2020 1:02 pm
ThreeDeeDave
(@threedeedave)

Hi @tankenland

My name is Dave and I am one of the experts here at IO3DP, nice to meet you.

Supports are one of those things that are necessary to 3D printing but are a bit of a pain and its very annoying when they don't do their job properly! We can definitely tune your settings to get you some nice removable support.

Thanks for sending a picture of your settings, very helpful. 

First off please see the attached file. Its a usefull support calibration STL that I have used before that can help you quickly test your settings. 

So starting from the top of your support material and raft settings:

Contact z distance: You can change this value to something greater if you wish ( say to 0.3 ), however things may get lost like dimensional accuracy and some finer detail on intricate prints so I would keep this the same. Only make this value bigger if all other options haven't worked to your liking.  

Pattern: The honeycomb pattern is a very sturdy pattern and not the easiest to break away. I would change this to rectilinear. I have never come across a use to use any other pattern than this.

With sheath around support:  You have this checked. I would un-check this as, unless you are printing something extremely tall or using thin towers of support, this just makes your supports even harder to remove.

Pattern spacing: For rectilinear supports, a good pattern spacing ( the distance between each back and forth pattern ) is 1.5mm. You can increase or decrease this value depending on the size of your print.

Interface layers: This is a good value 

Interface pattern spacing: Currently you have this value you 0mm, meaning that it is just a solid layer of interface, this is not ideal as the more interface that connects with the model, the harder support removal will be. I would change this value to 0.15 / 0.2mm to reduce contact with the model.

Interface loops: I would check this as I have found it helps with producing better quality with supported parts.

OK, so that's it for your support settings. See if that helps at all.

If not, we can then move on to some other settings:

Temperature: 

There is a possibility that your printing temperature is too high. When you print at too high a temperature the melted PLA doesn't have enough time to cool so it will bond to the layer below too well, which is not great when talking about support structures. I would then reduce your printing temp by 5 degrees ( under Filament settings - Filament ), print the support calibration and see if that helps. If not, decrease by 5 more, see if that helps and so on.

Fan settings: When printing with PLA, it needs some pretty decent cooling to be able to print well. I would check your fan settings ( under: Filament settings - Cooling ) and make sure that min and max fan speed are at 100%. I would also check the fan on your printer as this can gather dust and lost of other stuff that means it is not pushing out as much air as it should. Give it a clean and get out as much dust and stuff as you can!

Extrusion Width: We can reduce extrusion width of support structures to make them thinner and therefore easier to remove. Extrusion width can be found under Print Settings - Advanced. Depending on the profile you are using, support extrusion width can be the same width as every other extrusion, which is fine. However we can reduce it to make them easier to remove and so that less filament is used. The lowest width I would go down to is 0.35 so anywhere between 0.35 and 0.4 is going to make support easier to remove.

Let me know if any of that helps and we can go from there

Thanks

Dave 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2020 11:51 am
tankenland
(@tankenland)

@threedeedave Thanks for the great explanation ! I have follow all your settings eccept that changing contact z distance to 0.25mm. Test with your calibration file and seen like 0.25mm work better then 0.2mm

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/05/2020 7:26 am
ThreeDeeDave
(@threedeedave)

@tankenland  Great news and please don't hesitate to ask any more questions if you come in to further issues.

Thanks

Dave

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/05/2020 10:39 am
Share:

About us

We’re a bunch of 3D printing and design nuts. We just want to make great 3D design available to everyone. 

Our mission

Good design takes time, great design takes a process. You can learn this with us, to build your skill set in this rapidly expanding market. 

Learn with us:

© Copyright: 2019 io3dp.com
Close Menu