Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Poor print quality

DWIT3D
(@timaucoin)
Famed Member

Not sure what's happening on this print. It is a new printer. Mingda Rock 3. Sliced with their provided Repitier Host slicer software because I could not find a profile for S3D, Cura or Prusa Slicer. Side walls are not good looking at all, and the print is "weak" and cracking in some areas. I could easily break it with my hands without much force. Any thoughts as to what the issue could be? Slicer settings? It is printed with Eryone Silk Bronze PLA. 210 temp, 65 bed. 0.4 layer height, 60mm/s speed.

Thanks for any advice to help improve this, as it was a 14 hour print!!!

IMG 2531
IMG 2532
IMG 2530

Tim Aucoin
DWIT 3D
https://www.youtube.com/dwit3dcanada
dwit3dcanada@gmail.com

Topic starter Posted : 04/02/2021 6:51 pm
Luke
 Luke
(@lmf5000)
Expert Moderator

Hi Tim,

Are you really using 0.4mm layer height? The rule of thumb is that layer height should not exceed 75% of extrusion width. Assuming you have a standard 0.4mm diameter nozzle installed, your extrusion width by default in most slicers will be 0.4 to 0.48mm, so your layer height is, at absolute maximum, 0.36mm. However I can tell you from experience that past 50% of nozzle diameter (0.2mm) the quality starts to drop off drastically.

Therefore, I would set layer height to 0.2mm. Furthermore, I suggest validating the settings by printing a little 20mm calibration cube first - that looks like quite a substantial print and you don't want to waste all that filament (and hours of printing) again in case the layer height wasn't the issue 🙂

Let me know how it goes!

Regards,
Luke

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/02/2021 11:11 pm
Stan
 Stan
(@stan)

The last few things I have printed get about half way done and then go bad. I have the Lotmaxx shark 10 with the cura software. Any help would be appreciated. I am studying the training program now. Thanks for any help.

print

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/03/2021 7:05 pm
Luke
 Luke
(@lmf5000)
Expert Moderator

Hi Stan,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

From that photo it looks like you're getting a layer shift. That could either be due to the printer hitting the print and being pushed out of alignment, or could be due to the drivers overheating and shutting down briefly.

Could you please attach the .gcode file for that print and take screenshots of your cura settings?

Did you make any changes to the printer from stock?

Looking forward to your feedback.

P.S. It's better to start your own thread for new problems in future as it makes it easier for us to find it 🙂

Regards,
Luke

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/03/2021 9:10 pm
Share:

About us

We’re a bunch of 3D printing and design nuts. We just want to make great 3D design available to everyone. 

Our mission

Good design takes time, great design takes a process. You can learn this with us, to build your skill set in this rapidly expanding market. 

Learn with us:

© Copyright: 2019 io3dp.com
Close Menu