Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Printing with High-density polyethylene (HDPE) 3D Printer Filament

D3Dave
(@d3dave)

Hi, I'm looking for advice printing with

High-density polyethylene (HDPE) 3D Printer Filament

Has anybody had experience with this material?  My first thought - Should I treat it the same way as Polypropylene (PP) and use and adhesion sheet?

The info I got off the site that sells the filament is: "HDPE is a very challenging material to 3D print with. Although we have managed to get some successful prints, we have by no means perfected a reliable way to print with this material." 

I print with an Ultimaker S5...Any advice is much appreciated!  

Topic starter Posted : 22/02/2021 11:47 pm
Pablo
(@placherre)
Member Moderator

Hi D3Dave!

First of all, I apologise for our soo late response. 

As far as the supplier explanation, I believe he doesn't want to sell it... 😆 

Since both materials are pretty similar in their chemical structure, I would recommend you to start printing with the same settings of the PP. But, before printing any project, I would recommend you to print the Temperature Tower (you can download it from https://members.io3dp.com/downloads ) in order to check if the temperature settings are the same. In either case, you will end up setting up high temperatures for the nozzle and the bed.

Since both materials are very likely to warp, I would recommend you to use large brims and combine it using some adhesion material, such as packing tape, since the raw material is the same: polypropylene. Related to the former, if you can modify your model, you could add extra material in the corners to avoid warping, then you cut them off.

It's been a long time since you asked for advice, did you have the chance to print with HDPE? If you did it, could you reply with the results you had? Which brand did you buy?

Again, sorry for the delay, it won´t happen again...

Kind regards,

Pablo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/03/2021 10:45 pm
Share:

About us

We’re a bunch of 3D printing and design nuts. We just want to make great 3D design available to everyone. 

Our mission

Good design takes time, great design takes a process. You can learn this with us, to build your skill set in this rapidly expanding market. 

Learn with us:

© Copyright: 2019 io3dp.com
Close Menu