Share:
Notifications
Clear all

TPU Temperature Tower

ManicMate88
(@manicmate88)

Hi All,

I'm starting out with TPU and first thing's first, I ran a temp tower from 225 to 195 in 5 degree intervals (Bed temp of 40). As the temp decreases, underextrusion increases but bridging improves.

The perfect layer was the first at 225 but has no backbone when it comes to the bridging. 

My question therefore is, is this the inherent nature of TPU (that is, no to minimal bridging) or do I need to dial it in more? Some additional details below:

• PRINTER: i3 clone (Mk8 extruder)
  • Extrusion multiplier: 1.
  • Material density selected: PETG 
  • Speed: 40mm/s
ABB52972 F6EF 4D30 AC40 D9E6C419AC6F
913EE06E 63B9 4818 B4F8 237F3CF58BB8
08327987 5FA1 401F 905C CDC560B02DD1
65850885 16D9 4DAE AD59 0853123FF345

Topic starter Posted : 23/09/2021 5:04 am
Luke
 Luke
(@lmf5000)
Expert Moderator

Hi Manic,

In general, the bridging with TPU will always be worse than with ordinary filaments. This is because the greater flexibility of TPU implies that it will be more saggy when printing in mid air. However, it is possible to adjust the bridging settings to improve the result.

For starters, try lowering the bridging extrusion multiplier. This is called "bridge flow ratio" in PrusaSlicer. In cura, you have to tick "enable bridge settings" under Experimental, then set bridge wall flow and bridge skin flow.

Setting a number lower than 1 will make the printer extrude less filament than strictly speaking required to bridge the given gap. The result is that the filament is pulled taut by the nozzle because it doesn't extrude as much.

Start with a value of 90%, and if that improves the appearance of the bridge, try 80% and keep going until you don't notice any improvements. It should initially improve as you go lower, then at some point it will get drastically worse as the filament will get pulled so tight that it breaks, thus failing to print the bridge.

Aside from extrusion multiplier, make sure your cooling override for bridges is set to use 100% fan during bridging. In PrusaSlicer this is under Filament Settings -> Cooling -> Bridges Fan speed. In Cura this is under experimental -> Enable Bridge Settings -> Bridge Fan Speed.

Let me know how it goes!

Regards,
Luke

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2021 9:10 pm
Share:

About us

We’re a bunch of 3D printing and design nuts. We just want to make great 3D design available to everyone. 

Our mission

Good design takes time, great design takes a process. You can learn this with us, to build your skill set in this rapidly expanding market. 

Learn with us:

© Copyright: 2019 io3dp.com
Close Menu