I have a Labists E4 printer and I am having problems with my printing. I have successfully print undefined undefined ed the dog and the cat figures that came on the SDm. are that came with my printer. Both of them look great. Uo until last night I was not successful at printing anything else. That's not totally true. I was able to print the bed leveling squares. So yesterday evening I printed Dink! Everything started out great until the print job reached the top edge of Dink's right hand. As you can see in my pictures the right hand broke. I let the print job continue and complete and you can see the finished product. What went wrong and why only the right hand?
Bed adhesion was fine, quality of print is great, Dink separated from the shelf with minimal issues.
I cannot look at the printer settings for the dog and the cat because the print settings are locked.
what do you think happened?
Welcome to the community! 🙂
The broken hand is showing some signs of underextrusion so it seems the slicer settings will need some tweaking. In your other post I asked for support settings. This time I'm going to ask for the whole profile 🙃. Could you export that and attach it here? If the forum software rejects the file extension you can zip it and attach the zip file. And if you're not sure how to export the print profile you can also attach the .gcode as an attachment (if you're using PrusaSlicer, Cura or Simplify3D I should be able to extract the settings from that). Alternatively you could take screenshots of all the settings pages and post those here.
Looking forward to your reply 🙂
Luke, it appears that I am not able to provide that info. I am using Cura, and when I go to the Dink file nit says "Print setup is disabled. G-code file cannot be modified"
If the issue is under extrusion, why did it only happen on the right hand? The left hand is fine.
Not quite sure why you got that error - are you trying to open the gcode file in cura? The best way to proceed is to copy the gcode file from the printer's SD card and attach it here (no need to go through cura). That way I can analyse the exact same file that you printed. If you re-slice another one it might be different.
Re underextrusion, I'm referring to the tiny areas of underextrusion here:
As to why it's only one arm and not the other, it might be a starting problem and the right hand might be the start point, but this is just conjecture - I would need the gcode to actually dig in to what the printer is doing and why 🙂
Luke, here is the copy of the Gcode file. It is the same one that is on your web site.
I understand now, I assumed you were slicing the STL yourself not using the pre-made gcode from the site.
I tried to use cura to extract the settings from the gcode myself but got a different kind or error - basically cura doesn't store the complete profile, but rather simply "differences" from a parent profile. Without the parent profile (as in my case) it is unable to reconstruct the profile.
Onto the problem at hand. Since you used a pre-made gcode, it can only help you isolate printer hardware settings, but the gcode will have been made for a generic printer and won't necessarily be tuned for yours (in particular, retraction settings will be very different depending on whether your printer is Bowden or Direct Drive). If the resolution is a slicer setting change, you won't be able to do it because you don't have the source profile using in that gcode to use as a starting point (and it will be very difficult to obtain due to cura's limitations) - so at any rate you're going to have to recreate a profile from scratch.
Before we keep spending time on cura - Would you be willing to transition to PrusaSlicer? Our members have reported somewhat improved printing results compared to cura, and you'll find the user interface more responsive and quick than cura. Moreover there are fewer settings to adjust and they're better laid-out so the learning curve is a lot shorter (and we have a masterclass on it to quickly get you up to speed). Also, as of version 2.3 they include several new features not in cura yet, like print time analysis (a table of each move type and how much it contributes to total print time), the ability to paint support enforcers and blockers onto the model with your mouse, the ability to paint z-seam locations onto the model with the mouse, and a very good variable layer height feature - all of which you'll find useful for your small-scale figurines. The only thing missing compared to cura is tree supports, but you can easily do those in meshmixer (another free software package), and some would argue meshmixer does tree supports better than cura.
Let me know what you think 🙂
Thanks Luke, I have only just started my 3D experience so I am not tied to any particular slicer. I have no problem moving over to PrusaSlicer. Is this also a free program? I will check it out this evening and let you know when I have it ready. Is there anything special I need to do to get started with PrusaSlicer?
Prusaslicer is free - you download it from here - https://www.prusa3d.com/prusaslicer/
When you start it up it will ask you to choose which prusa printer you have, just untick all of them, then when you get to other vendors untick all of them too, then when you get to custom printer you can start defining a profile for your printer. You'll need the print area dimensions (from the printer spec sheet), and for filament selection you can just choose generic ones.
You can get a good idea of the process and all the basic functions from the masterclass. Any problems just make a new post here and I will continue to assist 🙂
We’re a bunch of 3D printing and design nuts. We just want to make great 3D design available to everyone.
Good design takes time, great design takes a process. You can learn this with us, to build your skill set in this rapidly expanding market.