Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Help with new filament

SusanOKC
(@susanokc)
Famed Member

Hi, Luke:

I got the IGUS filament but so far am not having any luck getting it to print well.  Here are the guidelines they provided:

• Any printer that prints ABS can print with this; I started with the PRUSA default settings for ABS.
  • Recommend Buildtak printing sheet, which is what I'm using and we are getting it to stick to the bed. 
  • Print in an enclosure with the cooling fan off; we're doing both.
  • Nozzle 260-280; we've tried between 260 and 270, are currently at 265 (brass nozzle.)
  • Bed temp 110-130; we've tried 110 and 115, are currently at 110. 

Separately our research suggested using a brim on small parts, which we're doing. 

We've tried several stringing tests, which have improved but are still terrible, and a couple of Benchys (also terrible.) Our prints feel like parchment paper - not at all like strong like the nylon.  I admit I'm starting to lose hope with this option but thought I would reach out before giving up on it completely.  

The project file is attached, along with the benchy I printed with it. Any thoughts are warmly welcome. 

Thanks as always! 

IMG 4091
IMG 4089
Topic starter Posted : 23/09/2021 2:42 pm
Luke
 Luke
(@lmf5000)
Expert Moderator

Hi Susan,

Thanks for the update, I was very curious how it went! Sorry the initial results aren't so encouraging. Which filament are you using - iglide, igumid, iglidur or something else? Could you provide the full name and number so I can do some research?

The texture of the filament reminds me of what would normally indicate the filament has absorbed a lot of water. Was the filament well packed with dessicant before you started, and did you dry it like you do with nylon? That might help with the extrusion quality and the interlayer adhesion.

Secondly, make sure the nozzle was spotlessly clean before starting (no PLA/PETG/nylon residues)

Lastly, the extrusion multiplier is quite low at 0.9. For an initial print I'd start at 1.0 and then adjust downwards until it stops looking overextruded.

I will come back to you with something more substantial once I get the full name and do some proper research 🙂

Meantime it won't hurt to forward exactly the same query to the experts at IGUS and report back what they recommend so we can approach the problem in an informed manner (they are after all motivated to sell more filament and they can't do that if it doesn't work on your printer! 😉 )

P.S. for testing, for now I'd suggest a half-size calibration cube (so it's only 1cm each side). It uses much less time and material than a benchy so troubleshooting iterations happen faster, and the top and sides will show clearly how far we are from acceptable settings. Could you print one (after drying) and post a pic of the top layer so I can evaluate the appearance with an extrusion multiplier of 1.0?

Regards,
Luke

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2021 8:57 pm
SusanOKC
(@susanokc)
Famed Member

Hi, 

This is the filament they suggested during our call and is what we’re using: https://www.igus.com/product?artNr=J260-1.75-250&q_ettig=5bQkv3ArfH

I can do more dehydrating; good idea. We’ve been printing little 4 minute stringing tests primarily. That’s how we worked our way down to .9. I’ll dry it out again, print a cube a send a photo. 

While the IGUS sales folks have been fantastic and I only have good things to say about the company, I haven’t gotten much technical printing support in response to my inquiries so far. The two people I’ve talked to were pretty direct that selling filament isn’t their primary business. Again, no complaints, but I’m not expecting much guidance from that corner. 

More soon!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 23/09/2021 9:17 pm
Luke
 Luke
(@lmf5000)
Expert Moderator

Hi Susan,

Pity they're not much help on the 3D-printing front. They do specify that it's harder to print with on the site, guess they weren't wrong 😆 .

Some things to change based on initial research

• Set density to 1.35g/cm3
  • Set temperature to 280°C

Make sure you're printing in a well-ventilated environment. This seems to be similar to ABS in terms of fumes (not as harmless as PLA or PETG).

I would also suggest re-checking your e-steps before proceeding further. Different filaments have different degrees of compressibility in the extruder gears so they will need different e-steps.

Let me know how it goes after implementing all changes and we'll take it from there 🙂

Regards,
Luke

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2021 10:02 pm
Share:

About us

We’re a bunch of 3D printing and design nuts. We just want to make great 3D design available to everyone. 

Our mission

Good design takes time, great design takes a process. You can learn this with us, to build your skill set in this rapidly expanding market. 

Learn with us:

© Copyright: 2019 io3dp.com
Close Menu