Share:
Notifications
Clear all

nonworking printer

sue
 sue
(@sue)
Famed Member

the printer was clicking so someone suggested the nozzle was clogged. My husband changed the nozzle and now i have this message 🙁

i'm hoping someone here has an idea of what it might be 🙂 thanks so much

Topic starter Posted : 18/02/2021 5:25 pm
Luke
 Luke
(@lmf5000)
Expert Moderator

Hi Sue,

Assuming this is an ender 3, homing works by having the printer move the three axes to the extremes of their travel until they hit the endstop (the mechanical clicky switch) at the end of each axis. The message means the printer couldn't home all three axes. So, first thing to check is, are all three motors moving when you go to home it? That is, the bed (Y-axis) should move back towards the motor, the x-axis (carriage) should move left towards the motor, and the whole assembly at the top (gantry) should move down until the z-axis endstop is triggered.

Each time an endstop is triggered during homing, the axis should reverse direction for a few milimeters, then move towards the endstop again and hit it at a slower speed (for more precision). Once that's done you know that axis is homed. Normally it homes X and Y first (whichever one is closest to home), then the other axis (X or Y) and finally the Z. So, by observing the printer, can you determine at which step it fails and hence which axis isn't homing (carriage/X, bed/Y or gantry/Z)? You could also upload a video here and we'll take a look (a youtube link will work too).

It's possible that a motor or endstop was disconnected, or something is mechanically blocking the path of one of the axes so it's not able to travel far enough to reach the home position. For example if the nozzle is very loose and bumping the bed the z-axis might crash into the bed and stop moving before the z-axis is triggered, however if any axis is being prevented from travelling this will be accompanied by a very loud noise from the blocked motor as it tries its hardest to fight against the block.

For speed and convenience, you can invoke homing through the LCD menu by going to Prepare -> Auto Home (no need to start a print and warm up everything just to test this). Remember to disable the steppers (via the lcd menu) before turning off the printer to protect the electronics if you do it this way :). Normally a print would have the "turn off motors" command (M84) in the end script so you don't need to do this extra step for routine printing. Just do it if the steppers are activated and you're going to power off the printer.

Looking forward to your feedback 🙂

Regards,
Luke

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/02/2021 8:11 pm
sue
 sue
(@sue)
Famed Member

hi luke..here is my video you asked me to create 🙂 hope this helps 

https://youtu.be/1VKzLQxAESo thanks sue 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/02/2021 10:29 pm
Luke
 Luke
(@lmf5000)
Expert Moderator

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the video :). Your X axis homes just fine and your Z-axis moves fine. The problem seems to lie with your Y-axis. I can see that the belt doesn't have the normal path (it should be straight and parallel to the frame):

Focus your troubleshooting efforts on that part first - has the belt detached from the motor pulley or the idler pulley on the other side? Right now the bed isn't moving at all (it's supposed to try homing right after the x-axis). The y-motor (behind the bed) should make the bed move backwards and forwards when its pulley turns - after re-seating and/or re-tensioning the belt, turn the motor pulley by hand and make sure that it causes the bed to move backwards and forwards smoothly - then try re-homing the printer.

Here's a rough idea of what that part should look like (some differences from this printer to yours but the same general locations):

Let me know how it goes 🙂

Regards,
Luke

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2021 5:52 pm
Luke
 Luke
(@lmf5000)
Expert Moderator

Another image from an Ender 3 pro, this matches your model more closely:

Source: https://youtu.be/ibsOYzXduYc?t=1364

Regards,
Luke

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/02/2021 6:01 pm
Share:

About us

We’re a bunch of 3D printing and design nuts. We just want to make great 3D design available to everyone. 

Our mission

Good design takes time, great design takes a process. You can learn this with us, to build your skill set in this rapidly expanding market. 

Learn with us:

© Copyright: 2019 io3dp.com
Close Menu