Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Problems with print setup

peterb8f15b29
(@peterb8f15b29)
Famed Member

My 1st major print and it has problems as the attached photos clearly show! And I need help please.

1. The object was meant to be a 50% Gyroid infill but is hollow. I would prefer it to be solid. I tried setting the infill to 100% but it was hollow again!
  2. The top of the lower portion should be closed over the infill.
  3. The upper sections should have top and bottom closed sections and have infill.
  4. There is a hole missing in the center upper section. It is in the .slt file but does not appear in the slicer image.
  5. Stringing (lots of it!) where the print head has moved between print areas.

I have attached an image of what it should look like (Photo3)

The filament is Geeetech PLA and I used Cura for the slicer and have attached the settings used. The nozzle was set at 215C and the bed at 55C.

The heated bed is a Geeetech glass and worked well with good adhesion and easy removal of the final print.

I know that the solutions will be simple but I am a rank beginner and need your assistance.

Thank you and regards

Peter

Photo1
Photo2
Photo3
Screenshot (208)
Screenshot (209)
Screenshot (210)
Screenshot (211)
Screenshot (214)
Screenshot (212)
Screenshot (213)

Topic starter Posted : 02/08/2021 6:45 am
Luke
 Luke
(@lmf5000)
Expert Moderator

Hi Peter,

The majority of your problems are a result of having "spiralise outer contour" ticked. This is also colloquially known as "vase mode" and removes all top layers and all infill, and prints the outer wall in one single, continuous perimeter from bottom to top.

Here's an example of the kind of things printed in this mode -

You can download the stl here - https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2230232

You'll notice that the stl files are actually solid - it's the "vase mode" that makes them hollow on the inside, by ignoring everything except the bottom layers and the outer walls.

Vase mode is great for fast, light, cheap, single-walled objects (vases, bowls, lampshades etc.) but not good when you actually want solid prints! So start by un-ticking that option. You'll immediately notice a change to the layer preview in cura - the print will transform from hollow to solid.

Some other recommendations:

• Unless you need the extra strength, 2 perimeters and 15% infill should be sufficient for many applications
  • You should bump up the top/bottom layers to a minimum of 3 layers for best quality (it tends to take 3 layers to iron out all the defects of the initial layers). You currently have a manual override of 2 layers selected. Press the "fx" button to return to automatically-calculated values for those settings, which will probably be 4 layers since you've set a thickness target of 0.8mm for your top and bottom skin and your default layer height is 0.2mm, so 0.8mm/0.2mm = 4 layers required.
  • Is your printer bowden or direct drive? If Bowden (extruder stepper motor mounted to the frame, connected to the nozzle area via a long white hollow PTFE tube), you'll need to increase retraction distance significantly. Typical values are 5.5 to 7mm. If you have a direct-drive printer (extruder stepper motor right above the nozzle area), your 1mm retraction distance setting should suffice - the problem then would be that your combing mode is set to "All" which has a tendency to make the printer not retract before it embarks over a long travel over open space (which is what it will do in this print). The solution then is to choose one of the other three types of combing. I suggest switching combing mode to "not in skin". This will make the printer travel via the walls (rather than the shortest path between two points) so the ooze will be stuck to the walls and will be hidden in subsequent layers. In this mode, it will retract before crossing skin, which should lead to better final appearance (no oozes or marks on the top skin).

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes!

Regards,
Luke

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2021 9:40 pm
peterb8f15b29
(@peterb8f15b29)
Famed Member

Thanks Luke. I will let you know the result but it certainly explains a lot

regards

Peter

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/08/2021 8:33 am
peterb8f15b29
(@peterb8f15b29)
Famed Member

Thanks Luke. I will let you know the result but it certainly explains a lot

regards

Peter

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/08/2021 8:33 am
Share:

About us

We’re a bunch of 3D printing and design nuts. We just want to make great 3D design available to everyone. 

Our mission

Good design takes time, great design takes a process. You can learn this with us, to build your skill set in this rapidly expanding market. 

Learn with us:

© Copyright: 2019 io3dp.com
Close Menu