Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Terrible surface finish

3dengineer24
(@3dengineer24)
Trusted Member

This is the first time I run into this issue, I haven't changed any settings prior to this happening it seems the lines are squishing too close together

Layer height of .2 line width of .350 with a .4 nozzle using cura.

any thoughts ?

20210326 163443
Topic starter Posted : 26/03/2021 8:39 pm
Luke
 Luke
(@lmf5000)
Expert Moderator

Could it be that your z-axis failed to step up in the last layer, or the gcode has an issue causing the same? The surface of the euro symbol looks perfect, it's only the top layer that's got an issue. Could you attach the gcode file for this so I can inspect it?

In general, you'll get the best results if your extrusion width is the same size as your nozzle diameter or up to 20% bigger. So in your case I would recommend setting your extrusion width to 0.4mm.

Also, enable 0.2mm of Z-hop (aka retraction vertical lift) to avoid lines like this when the nozzle does a travel move over the top skin -

It might also be a hardware issue - do you have a removable magnetic build plate? Perhaps some dirt got between the plate and the base? Or maybe the bed shifted slightly out of alignment when you put force on it to remove a print? Can you also grab the nozzle (when cold) and try and jiggle it and see if it's loose? In that case you might need to check all the bolts of the frame and carriage for tightness, as well as the nozzle itself.

Looking forward to your reply 🙂

Regards,
Luke

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2021 12:38 am
3dengineer24
(@3dengineer24)
Trusted Member

I have checked all of the hardware parts and they all seem to be functioning correctly, I'm going to re-level the bed and try some of those settings and see how that goes thank you!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/03/2021 4:28 pm
Share:

About us

We’re a bunch of 3D printing and design nuts. We just want to make great 3D design available to everyone. 

Our mission

Good design takes time, great design takes a process. You can learn this with us, to build your skill set in this rapidly expanding market. 

Learn with us:

© Copyright: 2019 io3dp.com
Close Menu