Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Home position

Thurman
(@thurman)
Famed Member

Hi Pablo, this the creality ender 3 in the front and the Longer is in the back. How do I reset the home position?

Inthe home position it’s way off the mark for printing.

What is the “Set Home Offset” and how do I get my nozzle in the right Home position?

Finally got the creality ender 3 fixed with one screw. Hah! Tyne bed seem to low and the nozzle is not even close to the bed and it’s just spitting out filament and not touching the bed. 

Thurman Steward

Topic starter Posted : 13/10/2021 9:23 pm
Pablo
(@placherre)
Member Moderator

Hi Thurman!

The homing or Auto Home is based on the position of the three limit switches, one for each axis (X-Y-Z). For the Ender 3, the X and Y limit switches are pre assembled from the factory. But, the Z axis limit switch (or end stop) must be installed during the assembly. The exact position will depend on the final position of the bed and the nozzle. However, you can place it at 32-35 mm from the lower part of the base frame. The following picture shows you how to measure the position.

Since you are using the magnetic build plate, the mentioned distance should place the end stop very close to the optimal position. In my case, I replaced the magnetic build plate with a 3 mm tempered glass; so I had to adjust the Z-axis limit switch in order to compensate for those 3 mm.

The final distance between nozzle and build plate will be adjusted using the 4 wheels (knobs) placed underneath the bed. But, the distance should be close enough for a small adjustment. When levelling the bed, all 4 springs shouldn’t be fully compressed or fully extended for mechanical performance.

As far as I can see in your picture, the Z-Axis end stop position seems to be in the correct place. However, verify the 32-35 mm distance recommended in the manual. Just in case, check if the wires are connected with the corresponding end stop. Each one of them has a yellow marker with the axis on it. According to the picture, the Z-axis limit switch pin seems to be connected correctly. Because the wire comes out directly from the main board case.

Another option is to make the procedure backwards: place the nozzle close to the bed and then adjust the Z-axis limit switch. First, I recommend you loosen the limit switch bolts so you can move it freely. Then, lower the nozzle close to the build plate. This can be done either turning the coupler of the Z stepper motor and the rod (previously set Disable Stepper) or by moving the Z axis with Prepare > Move Axis > Move Z (by 10 - 1 - 0.1 mm increments). Once the nozzle is 1 mm from the build plate, place the end stop and make sure the switch is pressed. Finally, adjust the bolts of the limit switch base. Then, verify the auto home position. If you manage to achieve the desired distance, then adjust the final nozzle to bed distance using the A4 paper procedure in all 4 corners.

The Set Home Offset option is an option for auto bed levelling. When using a BLTouch type of sensor for measuring and compensating the nozzle to bed distance, this option is used to tell the printer the new home position after performing auto bed levelling. Therefore, in your case this option will not perform changes, since the home position will depend on the end stop switches.

Finally, you should check the Printhead Settings in your slicer. Are you still using Cura? So I can show how to adjust these values. But, if you uploaded the printer profiles, these values should be already adjusted. Anyways, it is always good to verify this.

Note: I recommend you to place a cover for the main board fan. Since the opening is placed facing upwards, any particle could get inside the board or damage the fan blades. 

I am looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

Pablo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2021 3:50 pm
Share:

About us

We’re a bunch of 3D printing and design nuts. We just want to make great 3D design available to everyone. 

Our mission

Good design takes time, great design takes a process. You can learn this with us, to build your skill set in this rapidly expanding market. 

Learn with us:

© Copyright: 2019 io3dp.com
Close Menu